How can we both simplify and celebrate the complex layers of coffee?
It’s a beverage that is just as nuanced, and agriculturally complex as wine, and yet is often not given the same value and attention.
We visited with Proud Mary Coffee’s Nolan Hirte at his riverside cabin to discuss how he and the team at PMC help educate and excite customers about these complexities of coffee. Alongside this more detailed discussion, Hirte also shared how he would like to guide his customers, and the guests who rent his cabin, on how to brew coffee at home with ease using pre-portioned coffee and the Ratio Six. Thereby turning, what may seem like a daunting task, into something simple, enjoyable, and (dare we say) fun.
What's Nolan's Ratio Six routine?
- 650ml of water (half tank)
- 40 grams of coffee (stored in freezer bags, ground immediately after opening on a Fellow Ode, grind setting 4)
- For the optimizers, look for an extraction yield of about 21%
- Serve in a stemless wine glass
- Breathe deeply, and enjoy the coffee.